The Big Comeback by Stormeagle Chapter One At about 7:00 AM, the first rays of morning light pierced the murky grey gloom of the planet Calrand. It raced through an empty field, gathered momentum in a sleeping city, and finaly came through the bedroom window of bounty hunter Samus Aran. She stirred, grumbled something unintelligible, and squinted at the gleaming golden light. "Go away, you're too early," she groaned ill-naturedly, pulling her pillow over her head in an attempt to block the sun. Presently a loud beeping noise filled the room, stirring Samus again. She threw off the bedsheets, grabbed the small comm-badge on a bedside table, and growled a half-hearted "who is it" into it. "Rise and Shine, Aran, it's Houston." a voice replied. "Can't you see I'm trying to sleep?" she said to her friend, Armstrong Houston. "What do you think you're doing waking me up so early? Why, it's only--oh." she finished sheepishly, spotting her clock. "I guess I'm just tired. What do you want?" "Well, good morning to you too! Look, Samus, I've got this great hunt planned out and I want you to come with me." Samus rolled her eyes and began making her bed as she talked. "Come on, Houston, is this another one of your pirate hunts? The Zebesian Pirates are as good as gone anyway, and you don't need more money. Count me out." "Yo, wait! There's something else. I heard there are Metroids there too!" Samus chuckled sarcastically. "Ha ha, very funny. You'll do anything for some help, won't you?" "Wait, hear me out! The chairman said that a scout was attacked by Metroids on Midgard. Trust me, would I lie?" Samus decided not to answer that. "I can't beleive that there are still Metroids," she said heatedly. "Just like big bugs, eh Aran? You can't get rid of 'em." Armstrong laughed. Give up the jokes, Houston," Samus replied, picking up her helmet. "I'm on my way." Chapter Two Telrose Station, 8:04 "Miss Aran, we have called you here for an urgent hunt," declared Lorimar Keaton, the chairman of the Galactic Federation. "Three days ago we discovered Metroids on Midgard. We need you to go immediately." "Any sign of the Mother Brain?" Houston asked. "We had only enough time to escape." Samus clenched her fist angrily. "If my memory serves me, Mother Brain is ALWAYS behind the Metroids. But...the planet Zebes is gone! I've blasted Mother Brain twice already. If I catch her there-" "Whoa, calm down!" Houston said. "What are the chances anyway? Besides,the only thing I'm worried about is how much I get paid." Samus looked disgustedly at Houston. "Give me a break, cowboy! All you care about is money. Okay, Keaton, I'm on it. No need to follow,Houston." "No no no!! Wait a sec! I'm a nice guy too!" "Forget it," she replied. Samus stalked to the docking bay, got into her ship, and departed to Midgard. About five minutes later, Armstrong's face appeared on her communications screen. "Samus, wait. You'll need my help!" "I don't need anyone's help," she replied bitterly, not even looking at the screen. After an awkward silence, he said, "This isn't about me at all, is it? You're upset because the Metroids are back." Samus lost her composure and began yelling at him. "What do you think?! That baby Metroid was my friend and I saw it die!! When is Mother Brain going to quit? I know she's behind this!" Houston frowned and scratched his head. This was certainly a different side of his friend. Finaly, he managed to mutter an ashamed, "Um, sorry." Samus shrugged indifferently and tried to conceal her humiliation. "No problem. Come on, if you want to tag along..." Samus hit the warp gauge up a few notches and sped away. "Wait for me!" he called, following. But he knew that something this troubling to her wouldn't go away soon.